Note: We are currently not accepting new applications for adopting greyhounds. We will update this space if the status changes. Thank you!
Already completed all of your research and ready to adopt? Click here, fill out our online adoption application and submit your application or simply mail it in!
Looking for more information about greyhounds?
- First try our Frequently Asked Questions about Greyhounds section
- Then see what a greyhound will ask of you: Hound Requests
- Then feel free read up on the articles in the Helpful Resources section
Want to know more about our adoption process?
Fill out our Online Adoption Application or print our Adoption Application and send it to us via US Mail
- One of our friendly volunteers will conduct a phone interview – they will call you so we can learn more about you and you can learn more about us..
- Two of our volunteers will conduct a home visit bringing along a greyhound or two. This is your chance to see what a greyhound will be like in your home. It is also our chance to find out what you’re looking for in a pet.
- A report of the visit is forwarded to our Board of Directors who make the final decision on all GPA-NoVA adoptions.
- Once you’re approved, your information and dog specifications are sent to our adoption kennel in Wheeling, WV who will select the perfect dog for you.
- We arrange for you to attend an adoption event to unite you and your greyhound!
How can we be sure that we will select the perfect greyhound for you? Our process has proven over the years to bring the perfect match together 99.999% of the time, something our hundreds of happy adopters will readily attest to. GPA-NoVA has one of the lowest return rates of all GPA chapters, a fact we’re very proud of. When we send a greyhound home with you, we know you’ll never let each other go.
How long does the adoption process take?
From start to finish, the whole process typically takes 2 – 4 weeks. We typically do adoptions once or twice a month, depending on how many approved applications we have. Other factors, such as matching schedules during the application process or being able to coordinate transportation with our friends at Wheeling Downs, can impact that time frame.
How much are the adoption fees?
Currently, our adoption fees are $250. This fee covers a general health checkup, having the greyhound spayed/neutered, all required shots, dental cleaning, nail trimming, etc. Not bad, considering that greyhound puppies have sold for over $45,000! Additionally, new adopters are provided a free 1 year membership to GPA-NoVA, which provides you with a free GPA-NoVA T-shirt, generous discounts on Frontline and Interceptor, and an invite to GPA-NoVA’s annual picnic.